Decisions concerning endorsements and preferences will be made by the members.
- In partisan races, the party will not endorse candidates of another party, but may state that such a candidate is “preferred.” There is no such restriction in non-partisan races or in relation to ballot measures.
- Candidate Races
- In the meeting following the end of the filing period, the members will decide which races to make endorsement and preference decisions about.
- In each such race,
- The party will invite all candidates to respond to a formal questionnaire.
- The party will invite all candidates to attend and speak to a members’ meeting with opportunity for questioning.
- Unless the members shall have decided otherwise, the decision concerning endorsement or preference will not be made until
- After the end of the filing period,
- After the candidates have returned the party’s questionnaire, and
- After the candidates have appeared before a meeting of the members.
- If there is a primary in a given race, the endorsement decision may be reviewed following the primary.
- If there is more than one Green Party candidate in a given race, the endorsement decision in that race will not be made until after the primary.
- Ballot Measures – Since the decision point for whether a ballot measure will be on the ballot or not is the end of June, the schedule for ballot measures will be one month later than for candidate races.
- These rules result in the following nominal endorsement schedule. If the members wish to make endorsements or state preferences in more than a few races, there may be necessary to schedule more than one meeting in which endorsement and preference decisions are made.
|Members Meeting||Action by members||Other action|
|June||Decide which candidate races to have an endorsement or preference in||Send questionnaire and invitation to speak at July meeting to all candidates in the selected races.|
|July||Review returned candidate questionnaires.
Hear candidates in the selected races.
Decide which ballot measures to make an endorsement decision about.
|Send questionnaire and invitation to speak to proponents and opponents of ballot measures.|
|August||After the primary, revise endorsements and preferences, if necessary.|